Monday, August 23, 2010

Don't Waste Your Life

So, with the summer camp season at an end, I have been enjoying catching up on some much needed reading. After all, without any school this semester, I have quite a bit of extra time on my hands. For the past week, I have been working my way through my first book written by John Piper. I have always had a great interest in Piper, but have never taken the time to see what God is doing in his life. I can tell you this...If this was the only work I ever had from Piper, I would say that it carries a message for us all to take extremely serious. DON'T WASTE YOUR LIFE!

I think Piper sums up much of his argument with his comments below...

"You may not be sure that you want your life to make a difference. Maybe you don't care very much whether you make a lasting difference for the sake of something great. You just want people to like you. If people would just like being around you, you'd be satisfied. Or if you could just have a good job with a good wife, or husband, and a couple of good kids and a nice car and long weekends and a few good friends, a fun retirement, and a quick and easy death, and no hell. If you could have all that (even without God) you would be satisfied. That is a tragedy in the making. A wasted life." (pg. 45)

Sadly, when I look at how I spend my life...my time, money, interests, thoughts, my dreams. I find that I am prone to spend it on much of the above. And the short of Piper's message in his book is that a pursuit of anything outside of bringing glory to God is a waste. It is a temporary satisfaction that is a distraction from who God has created us to be.

So my question for you and me is simply this.... What would it look like to live a life that wasn't a waste?

No comments:

Post a Comment